Name of Missionary: David and Janet Preston
Name of Ministry: India Quest
Nature of Ministry: Encouraging church and camp leaders
Our prayers are for wisdom as we mentor folk, for spiritual life in our teaching and for guidance as we consider the invitations to places. We are home in Ireland for the summer, but we return to India, on 14th September, 2015, to speak at an all India camping conference.
Gifts towards the camping ministry, as it does a great work in reaching the younger generation. Funding helps pay for equipment, travel, transport and staff wages. We have been able to contribute in these areas this year, but it is an ongoing need.
During the past year we have been working in 4 areas that we have had invitations for and our main focus has been to support and encourage the leaders that we work with and their ministries.
1) Church in the Punjab invited us to work with them for 4 months to give Christian foundational teaching. Alongside this we did the following:
- Take the children’s church
- Boys & girls teenage groups
- Bible studies with medical students & doctors as the Christian Medical Centre was next door to the church
- Supported the leaders & full time workers by spending time with them
Our greatest joy was to see 15 people baptised at the end of our stay and to see the lives of families and individuals changed.
2) Camping ministry in the South of India - mainly in Tamil Nadu. We spent a lot of time encouraging and supporting the leaders of various camping ministries and helping them in their camps by giving bible teaching on life issues and mentoring the campers. We worked with the following groups:
- School groups
- Church groups
- Youth/work groups
- Christian organisations eg. Compassion
3) Helped to establish a ‘tent making’ business for a camp leader, enabling him to provide for his family and be available for camp ministry.
The ‘spoken English’ café is up and running and several of the students have come to camps and are visiting the camp leader at home.
4) Teaching and preaching in different contexts:
- YWAM DTS (a week of teaching given on an overview of Bible)
- Hospital Retreat in Tribal mission area
- Bible School teaching
All of the above has come about through the relationships developed during our previous 8 years in India, as leaders of a discipleship group called India Quest.
If anyone is interested in helping out in the camping ministry in India for short term ministry, we can put them in touch with the leaders of this ministry in Tamil Nadu.